Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My apartment and neighborhood

It occured to me last night that I hadn't really described where I'm living.  My apartment is on the third, or second, floor (depending whether you use American or European designation).  In any case it's up two flights of stairs.  You enter a small hallway, to the right is the kitchen, straight ahead is the living room.  The bedroom has two doors, from the living room and from the hall.  The bathroom is off the hall.  Off the living room is a balcony that gets some sun all day.  It seems to face in a southerly direction.  There is a table and chairs on the balcony which overlooks an overgrown garden area.  It's really pleasant to have coffee on the balcony in the morning.

The neighborhood, called Floreasca, has streets named for musicians.  My street is off Tchaikovsky St.   A few blocks over is a park that I like to visit each day.  At one end, it has a beautiful rose garden which is still in full bloom, and beds of marigolds and impatiens. Many of the roses I've seen in Bucharest are the old-fashioned varieties that have an intense perfume that you can smell as you approach.  You could say the air is perfumed.

There are many benches spread out throughout the park and there seem to be people enjoying themselves at all hours.  In the morning, my peers, the pensioners, are sitting, visiting with their friends.  There are also grandmothers watching small children.  There is a coffee shop called Memento that is really a nice place to spend a few hours watching people come and go.

There is an unhurried way of living that is very attractive to me.  When we go out for a meal, first we choose the restaurant, and eat slowly and unhurriedly.  Then we wander until we find a coffee shop for a cappucino and/or dessert.  By the time we're finished, eating has taken a few hours instead of a few minutes.

As I've spoken to people on Skype, each has said that I sound relaxed.  And I am.  For the first time in a very long time.  This time in Eastern Europe is really turning out to be a time of personal renewal.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely [SECOND FLOOR] apartment in a beautiful neighborhood. To hear you luxuriating in "an unhurried way of living" is most unusual - especially with all the cappucinos. I enjoy your descriptions immensely; often a thousand words is nicer than a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you're enjoying a demitasse of coffee, I'm powering down a litre of iced espresso. Learned to drink it out of a litre glass from you! As my day begins, yours is mid. Enjoy the rest of it. And your neighborhood sounds wonderful! I'm sure you fit right in, as you do everywhere you go. Love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does Floreasca mean, I wonder. The neighborhood sounds like something one would see in a movie. Yes, Americans have it backwards as far as meals are concerned; they are meant to be enjoyed and allowed to digest as opposed to just eating and rushing. I'm glad you described the apartment, I had been wondering what it was like. The balcony sounds so relaxing and quiescent. I wish you much success on your workshop tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come join you? It sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to have a friend over for coffee, but all my friends are 6000 miles away. My balcony aches to be shared and the espresso pot makes enough for two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was afraid your trip would be over before I figured out how to contact you!! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Nice apartment, wonderful location, (the park with flowers,roses,benches and Grandmothers), relaxing meals that can take hours, etc. Why can't we all live like that? Continue your blogs so we can follow you everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, how delightful it sounds! I am so happy that you are enjoying your time over there, and that you are mindful of appreciating each moment. Church is going well, although I was out sick on Sunday. The One Anothering group is really bonding. We are really getting to know what makes each other tick, and are now in the "praying for someone specific for 5 weeks" phase. BJ and I for the first time ever had joint nightly prayers for a lot of people. It was amazing. She has come a long way. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete