Monday, September 28, 2009

Shades of Baghdad and Cairo

Sunday, we went to a place called Europa Market, commonly called Chinese Market.  It's an area of hundreds of shops selling just about anything you can think of with uneven somewhat dirty winding streets jammed with people looking for bargains.  There was a little food shop that had a sign in the window (in Romanian): "Good appetite, if you don't like the food, you don't pay."  We didn't test it out.

We then went to a large Home Depot/Lowe's type store with Florin's friend to help her get boxes and other stuff for moving.  We stopped into her new apartment before going out to lunch to a local restaurant called "The Hunchback"  It was full and the smells of meat cooking over charcoal were wonderful.  Florin's friend and I had the specialty of the house, a kind of kufta/kabob served with mustard and oven-baked potatoes and pickles.  Florin had a chicken dish.

I was ready to get back to the apartment for some solitude after being in the crowds.  I had to work on a description for a sort of workshop I'll be doing Friday.  I finished it this morning and then mastered the art of using a stovetop Espresso pot.  It came out so strong, I had to add sugar and milk.  The milk barely lightened the coffee.  Tomorrow, I'll use less coffee.

I met Florin for lunch at an Indian restaurant and then we went to a sort of mall to buy a computer cable and to another mall to get a new shower head.  Within 10 minutes of getting back to the apartment, I had the shower repaired and my laptop hooked up to the computer that was hooked up to the internet.

The evening promises to be quiet.  The rest of the week will be somewhat busy and the weekend may have a little travel but more of that later.

3 comments:

  1. Hope your workshops are going as well as the rest of your trip. I love your descriptions of the foods and markets. It's almost like being there. Can't wait for more pictures.
    Hope you are resting when needed. Traveling can take a lot out of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so fun listening to your experiences of making coffee, getting lost and then finding your way and everything else. What gets me is the food, it sounds so delicious. I personally would have wanted to try the food at the one shop that said "if you don't like the food, you don't pay." I wonder how many times that's happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ji, I have just now read your blog. I loved the pictures! As usual you describe everything so well that I can smell the coffee and the roses. What a wonderful experience! I can understand why you feel that this is a time of personal renewal. I am praying for you everyday. Peace, my friend. Donna Stroud

    ReplyDelete